Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lavender

Dear Riley,

I’ve always heard that smell is one of humanities strongest senses, and I’m here to attest to that thought.

As part of Aunt Ma and Uncle Eric’s baby shower gift, they included a pump bottle of Lavender scented Germ-X.

image

When you were a newborn, your daddy and I were scared of the germs people would bring into our house. So we conveniently placed our bottle of Germ-X on the coffee table where all visitors would be encouraged to clean their hands before holding you.

It turns out, your daddy and I used more of the Germ-X than any visitors. Between feedings and diapers, my hands got very dry and cracked from using the Germ-X so much. I didn’t really think about it at the time, but our house smelled like sweet lavender.

bathsleep with babiessleepwith dad

Almost three years later, anytime I smell the faint scent of lavender, my heart goes back to those first days and weeks spent with you. You were my tiny baby, so sweet-smelling and soft. Your cries awoke something deep inside me, forever changing how I would live, breathe, and sleep.

Lavender, forever will I associate with My Baby.

Love you more than I can express.

Love, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment