Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Nolan Henry: The Day You Were Born

Dear Nolan,

I can't decide if you will want to read my letters. Maybe your wife will!

I knew you would be born on July 22 for several months. All I had to do was hope my c-section wouldn't be rescheduled. It wasn't! I had a hard time towards the end of my pregnancy with you. I was huge and tired, plus had to take care of Riley and Ella. All by myself. It wasn't easy!

On Monday, July 22, your daddy and I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. We were very excited! Actually, we fussed the whole way to the hospital. I can't even remember what it was about, but it ended once we got to the hospital to get ready for you.



We showed up and waited for things to get going. I was hooked up to monitors for about two hours before the c-section started. An old friend from high school was my nurse and took great care of me. She was also the one to "catch" you. It was nice knowing someone in the operating room.

Finally, around 7:30 my doctor came in and said it wouldn't be long. With Ella I was extremely nervous and ended up having a panic attack on the operating table. I was nervous this time around and had heavy breathing, but it wasn't as bad with you. Things seemed to move faster when I had you. Looking back, I can tell the panic attack with Ella was a prolonged event. Looking back with you, I was so much more calm while in the holding room.

Having an epidural isn't all that great. It's hard to relax knowing a long needle is going in your back. When the needle was inserted in my back, a very sharp pain radiated down to my knee and actually hurt. I yelped as my knee reflex shot forward.

I'm always relieved when your dad walks in the operating room. He has the biggest smile but I can never see it because he's wearing a surgical mask. 

At 8:16 a.m. you came out crying. 


While you were being cleaned up I went to recovery. This is always the hardest part for me! I hate being separated from everyone! There was a clock on a nearby wall and I kept my eyes on that clock. I knew I wouldn't be in recovery for more than an hour, and I was keeping track. When it was finally time for me to leave recovery I was wheeled to our room. No one was there either! I finally asked a nurse to let everyone know I was in my room. It wasn't long before your daddy walked in with you. 


I was happy to see you! You looked like the girls! 


You were by far the most painful delivery. Everyone said that getting my tubes tied would hurt. How true that was! The worst pain of my life!

We had several visitors. I remember April coming in and holding you. Maybe before or after you, Paw-Paw, Aunt-Ma, Riley and Ella came in to see us. My Dad dropped Ella right onto my bed and the first thing she did was lunge for me. Maybe you can imagine the pain! Riley oohed and ahhed over you, and claimed you were the cutest little thing she had ever seen. You were so handsome!

I love you Nolan Henry Smith. It was worth it all to get you here. 

Love, Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment