Sunday, January 19, 2014

Home of the Soul

How many times has a song taken me back? Triggered a memory? Never like this morning at church.

When the choir started singing this song, I didn't think anything of it. Then the last chorus hit, and I was back in the old sanctuary at Leagueville Baptist. I could hear my grandmom singing this song, lead alto.
Words:  James Rowe
Music:   Samuel W. Beazley
If for the prize we have striven,
After our labors are o’er,
Rest to our souls will be given,
On the eternal shore.
Chorus
Yes, a sweet rest is remaining
For the true children of God,
Where there will be no complaining,
Never a chast’ning rod.
Chorus
Soon, the bright homeland adoring,
We shall behold the glad dawn;
Lean on the Lord till the morning,
Trust till the night is gone.
Chorus
Home of the soul, beautiful home,
There we shall rest, never to roam;
Free from all care, happy and bright,
Jesus is there, He is the light!
Oft in the storm, lonely are we,
Sighing for home, longing for thee,
Beautiful home of the ransomed,
beside the crystal sea.
I couldn't help but cry during the entire church service. How I miss hearing her sing this song! Especially the last chorus. I must have heard her sing this song a thousand times, but never did I think it resonated so deep within me. 
Grandmom would be so proud of my kids. She would be crazy about Riley and remind me that Riley is just five years old. Grandmom wouldn't mind all of Riley questions. 
Grandmom would get a real kick out of Ella Rae. She would say that Ella doesn't "give a rat's butt" about anything. 
Grandmom would hold Nolan all of the time. I wouldn't have a tend to him at all! I like to think that Grandmom would give me baby advice, whether I wanted it or not. 
I think Grandmom would tell me to love Henry forever. She would know that he's a good man and that I do deserve him. 
I think Grandmom would tell me to take time to enjoy my kids. To love being a mom. I think Grandmom would wrap her arms around my neck and tell me how much she loves me. 
And I still think, even now, that Grandmom would get after someone with the fireplace poker if they messed with me. 
Alzheimer's has been the cruelest game of all. I know she will one day have a beautiful home beside the crystal sea. 


1 comment:

  1. She would be very proud of you and enjoy those sweet kids of yours! Alzheimer's is a nasty thing...but one day...she will have a mansion just for her...and several jewels in her crown! Love you cousin!

    ReplyDelete