Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

Riley, Ella and Nolan,

Mother's Day is a tough day for me. I know I have you three kids, and I'm so very thankful for you all. Without your love I wouldn't be who I am today. I love you three babies with everything I have.

Even so, I don't look forward to Mother's Day. Not having a mother who was there for me as I grew up and being estranged from her for most of my adult life has always made the celebration of mothers seem unnecessary. I've always had my Grandmom, who mothered me. Because of her I always had someone to honor on Mother's Day. But, I've always felt sorry for myself because I didn't have a real mother to honor on this special day.

Now that I'm almost 30, the women in my life that I look up to have changed. Two in particular have filled parts of a deep void.

Shanna

My first memory of Shanna is her taking me to Walmart and telling me I could buy whatever I wanted. That really made an impression! So did Grandmom's face when Shanna and I walked in with a huge fish tank.


Morgan and I thought Shanna was IT! We loved spending the night with her on the weekends. We've sat at Saia Motor Freight many nights waiting on Shanna to get off work. Morgan and I loved staying up late with Shanna at night just talking and hanging out, or organizing things.



I can remember Shanna coming to basketball games, birthday parties, putting a perm in my hair, and giving me all of her old stuff. One time she gave me some old concealer. I was about 13 and had pimples on my face. I think I used Shanna's old concealer for a year afterwards! I really liked the used nasal spray Shanna gave me one time. Grandmom didn't buy us that kind of stuff, so I thought I really had something.

I have laughed more with Shanna than just about anyone else. Whatever I go through, Shanna is always there for me. Shanna listens and understands when others don't. She is the most selfless person I know, and would give me anything she had if I asked.

Anytime Shanna would come to Grandmom's, Morgan and I would hang all over her. These days I see my own two girls going silly when Shanna walks in the room. I completely understand the feeling.

Waynette

Growing up, the highlight of my summer vacation was going to Brennan, Blair and Bryce's house. This was a really big deal. Waynette's house was the biggest house we'd ever seen, and running up and down that hallway was so much fun. Even today, I still look forward to going to Waynette's house. I don't want to run up and down her hallway anymore, but visiting with her is a wonderful get-a-way.



When I was 21 I went through a difficult time and was eventually diagnosed with severe depression. I guess Grandmom told Waynette about it, and Waynette mailed me a little care package. The thing I most remember in that care package was a little pink prayer book. I was in the depths of despair and Waynette's gesture made things seem not so bad.



As I've grown older, I've come to look up to Waynette in so many ways. I want to treat my mother-in-law the way Waynette treats hers. She once said, "That is his mother and I need to honor her for that." I've thought of this so many times, and I want to honor my mother-in-law for being Henry's mother. I want to be a Christian woman the way Waynette is. She's been a great example of a mother, and one I've needed to see.



Mostly, what Shanna and Waynette have done for me is love my children. Both of my aunts LOVE my children. They care about me and my kids, and, they show they care. I am grateful to have them in my life, and even more grateful my kids have two amazing grand aunts.

So on this Mother's Day, I honor my aunts. I love you both so much, and thank you for your love, kindness and friendship.



Riley, Ella and Nolan, we are all better because of Aunt Shanna and Aunt Waynette.

Love, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment