Friday, May 6, 2011

A Best Friend

Dear Riley,

One day you will have a best friend; I hope she is as good as my best friend is.

Sara and I met in 1st grade. I think it took a little while for us to reach “best friend” status, but I know in 4th grade we were pretty close. That’s the year Sara wrote me a note during class and I turned it into the teacher because of all the grammatical errors. They was “thay”. That’s the one error I remember.

Through the years, Sara’s grammar improved and so did our friendship. Sara’s house was the place to be when I was in 9th grade, so we were constantly together. We’ve definitely been through ups and downs, but we had a blast together at our Sr. prom, even though Sara’s curfew was midnight. We didn’t have much business being out passed midnight anyway, we we thought it was tragic at the time.

I could always count on Sara, whether it was to go visit my mom in jail two hours away, spy on a boyfriend, or tell my deepest secrets to, Sara was ALWAYS there for me. I’m ashamed to say that she is a better friend to me than I am to her.

Sara is the first person I remember seeing after I had you. Coming out of a fog after a C-section was one of the scariest things I’ve ever been through. To look up and see Sara comforted my heart. I knew if Sara, my best friend, was there, my baby and I would be fine. I know Sara would do anything for both of us.

It hasn’t taken long for Sara to turn into Aunt Sara. And Riley, you think the sun rises and sets on Aunt Sara. She’s spoiled you so much, that every time you see her you ask, “Where is my present?”

007

I have a thousand pictures of me and Aunt Sara together. They all basically look like the picture above. Sara is the best friend anyone could ever ask for.

A couple weeks ago, Aunt Sara called to ask if she could kidnap you for a few hours. Of course I said yes, and then asked why. Aunt Sara took you to “create” a Mother’s Day present for me.

011

Piddlin Pottery is a local business that allows you to pick out a piece of pottery and then paint it. A few weeks later you go and pick up your creation. Painting was right up your alley. Aunt Sara likes to paint too.

015

You selected a plate (Aunt Sara probably picked that) and a princess figurine.

016

The plate says, “I’ll always be your little girl.” This gift brought tears to my eyes. Your little hand print and art work was more than I could handle. Not to mention the thought Aunt Sara put into this gift. I’ll cherish this plate and figurine forever.

Riley, I hope one day you have a best friend that is half as great as mine. I can tell you countless stories about Aunt Sara and the many times she’s bailed me out of jams, but suffice it to say, I’ll never find a better friend than Aunt Sara.

Love you Sara! Thanks for being a great friend to me and my baby. It means more than you’ll ever, ever know!

Love, Mama

1 comment:

  1. You do "tear jerking" post! Everyone needs a "Sara" and a "Jaycie" in their lives!!

    ReplyDelete