Monday, May 2, 2011

Evil

Dear Riley,

A week ago, an evil man was removed from our world. My heart surged with pride when I learned Osama bin Laden was dead as a result of American forces.

In 2001, I was a carefree 11th grade student. I was working at a local restaurant making my own spending money. I was worried about a boy, playing sports, and hanging out with friends. Life was great.

On September 11, 2001, at about 8:30, I somehow managed to get out of class for the next hour. I decided to go to my on-again-off-again boyfriend's house and hang out with his mother. Wow, what was I thinking. When I walked in the door, the news was on talking about how an airplane had flew into a big building in New York City. I gave the news story a passing glance and started visiting.

As my hour away from school came to an end, I made my way back to school. Unbeknownst to me, the school had been placed on lockdown because of the terrorist attacks in New York. So, there I was, locked out of school. It didn't take long for school personnel to discover I was missing, and when I returned, I was promptly put in ISS for skipping school.

It took several years for me to realize the magnitude of that day, not only for myself, but for the thousands of people in the World Trade Center on Sept. 11th, the thousands of soldiers fighting against the terrorists, and the families of all those affected. September 11th was a day that will never be forgotten.

I think bin Laden's death will be an event that people will ask, "Where were you when you heard bin Laden was killed?" I was spending the night with Paw-Paw and Tio. Your daddy called me on the phone and asked if I heard what had happened. Of course I hadn't, but I immediately turned the channel away from "Deadliest Catch" and on to the news. When I heard the news last night that Osama bin Laden had been killed, I couldn't believe the news. This man terrorized Americans all over the world. Bin Laden wanted to extinguish every American from the face of the planet, even you. His evil actions prove how ugly people can be, and he is the epitome of evil and malevolence.

Last night I was glad. Glad for the people directly effected by his schemes, and glad that he can not extinguish your life from this world. Never will you have to fear the name, Osama bin Laden. You will, however, probably always fear terrorists and their plotting.

I hope you one day have a pride for the country you were born in. America is the greatest nation in the world, and I could not be more proud to live and work here. I am thankful you were born into America as well, so that you can realize all the freedoms we do have.

Have pride in your country. Not everyone has the same opportunities as you do or will.

I love you,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment