Sunday, March 28, 2010

American Flag Quilt

I have FINALLY finished my quilt top for my American Flag Quilt. I talked about my inspiration process a little over here.
quilt
 Excuse the child crawling across the quilt top. I don't know who she is!


I am really happy to have this thing finished! Piecing by hand is very time consuming, so this took several hours over several days. The quilt top takes up ALL of my living room's open space, so it's huge. I am happy it turned out so large. This was the first quilt that I actually calculated measurements. I sketched it out on a piece of paper and everything! A first! Normally I just jump in head first and sometimes my quilts look o.k. and sometimes they don't. So on this quilt, I wanted things to be pretty exact.

american flag quilt
All of my planning was pretty much for nothing because I had to tweak a few things. I ended up adding a few blocks to the long stripes. As I was piecing, I was really never sure what I was going to do with the blue area and stars. I had this fabric,
it's dark blue with off-white stars. So what I think I am going to do is quilt 50 stars in this portion. That's a lot of stars, so we'll see what I end up doing.
Let me know what you all think! I am pretty proud!


1 comment: